I have mentioned lately, that I love a good DIY, haven’t I? This one was brewing for about three months. Yes, you read that right. I got the idea in my head and started my search for all the various pieces roundabout October. We have a long wall in our living room that has been blank since moving in last March. This post serves as a companion piece to my latest YouTube video – Episode 110 $30 Upcycled Gallery Wall.
*This page contains affiliate links. At no cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links.*
My husband started complaining to me that it looked like we were temporary renters and not homeowners because our walls were so bare. So I started looking around for inspiration. I like farmhouse industrial because, well, we have a farmhouse and I like the look.
$30 UPCYCLED GALLERY WALL – THE BREAKDOWN
I spent a total of $12 on Facebook Marketplace for all five frames. They are all solid wood. Three were already empty, which was less work for me. One contained the glass still and the other displayed a counted cross stitch piece, which I donated.
The most expensive item (for me) on this project was the “h” for our last name. I purchased it for $5 from at Home. The wall medallion and jute were from Hobby Lobby. The wall art was 50% off and I used a coupon for the jute.
The clothespins were from Dollar Tree! They literally just cost me a dollar! I still have most of the package too so if these get lost or I need to display more than planned I’m good.
The metal basket was part of a Christmas gift from my sister. I plan to eventually display something seasonal in it, like a simple wreath or bow. The chicken wire was given to me by a friend. Her husband had some left over from a project.
THE PROCESS OF CREATING OUR $30 UPCYCLED GALLERY WALL
My husband helped (erm, did most of the work) with the actual completion of the project. I really just got the original idea and gathered all the materials. Gathering the materials took more time than I realized because thrift stores and flea markets charge more money for solid wood frames or they have already chalk painted them and put an even heftier price tag on them. It took a while to find a promising ad on Facebook Marketplace in which the seller actually responded.
STEP ONE – SAND AND RESTAIN THE FRAMES
The frames were all older, and rather dark and dirty. My husband sanded them all down then restained them using whatever stain he had on hand. I didn’t go out to take a picture of it, but as we have no garage or shop yet at the new house he did all this outside in the cold over his Christmas vacation. He took a week and a half off and I took up his last few days off with this little project.
STEP TWO – CUT THE CHICKEN WIRE
We only had to trim a little bit of rusted wire off. To cut the wire we simply unrolled it on the floor and used the frames as templates to cut out the wire needed. My husband ended up having to sit on the wire to keep it flat. This took about ten minutes. It probably would’ve been faster had our wire cutters been sharper.
STEP THREE – ATTACH THE CHICKEN WIRE AND JUTE
In order to attach the chicken wire to the larger frame, my husband built a frame to go behind it that was a little wider and gave the surface area needed to staple the chicken wire down. He then screwed the two frames together with the wire sandwiched between. The smaller frame with the was wider, and therefore a little easier to attach the wire to.
To string the jute I marked where I wanted it to run and then my husband simply drilled a hole in each side of the wood for each row of jute. Then I just ran it through the frame and knotted on the ends, leaving the knots visible.
STEP FOUR – CHOOSE THE LAYOUT FOR THE UPCYCLED GALLERY WALL
This was one of the most difficult parts. I had worked the entire three months laying them out, taking pictures, and never being quite satisfied. In the end, it didn’t look quite right with just the five frames, so I pulled the wire basket off the dining table and set it in the middle. Then it really started coming together!
After several minutes of me moving stuff around and not being quite happy with any of it my husband suggested the current arrangement and it was just right!
STEP FIVE – INSTALLATION
This part was again mostly up to my husband. I’m not really allowed or inclined to put holes in the walls. If you were to remove any piece of wall decor at our old house while we lived there and look on the wall behind it you would’ve seen lots of little holes as I kept changing my mind and resituating things. I do not mind not being the one making the holes in the walls!
So I held things and assisted him where needed in-between corralling kids. I am very thrilled with the end result! I wanted an inexpensive, yet visually pleasing way to display our children’s artwork with a few anchor pieces to give it some consistency and that is just what we got!